Sunday, March 25, 2012

Dimension relationships

Hi !
I have a question about the relationship between two dimension, I have a data Model of my dataBase which I couldn't modify. And I have a problem to link a mesure with a dimension.

I explain :
I have 4 tables : Engine, CounterRelation, CountersConfig and CountersValues
My problem is ; doing a link between Engine and CountersValues.

CounteRelation have the id of engine and countersConfig, and countersValue have the id of counterConfig :
Engine < CounterRelation --> CountersConfig <-- CountersValues

I sucess to have a relation between Engine and CountersConfig.
between CountersCOnfig and CountersValues
But I didn't have a relation between CountersValues and Engine.
I have a bizarre result when I use the tabbed Broswer, if I display my countersValues I have for example : the total 10 000
OK, now I add my dimension CounterConfig, I can see (for example) 4 rows
A 5000
B 1000
C 2000
D 2000
__
10000
Ok now if I add my dimension engine,

! A ! 5 000
Engine 1 ! B ! 1 000
! Tot ! 10 000

! C ! 2 000
Engine 2 ! D ! 2 000
! Tot ! 10 000

There is a probleme, the total is not good !!

I hope someone can give me a solution without changing my dataBase, because it is not possible (I already ask...)

Thank you....

Hi,

I don't know if CountersConfig is just usable in your Dimension Usage tab to link your measure group and the CountersValues dimension, I need more details about your data.

Probably you need a new table (a "factless fact table" or "bridge table") to do this link .

Take a look at this great paper by Marco Russo for more details:

http://www.sqlbi.eu/Portals/0/Downloads/M2M%20Revolution%201.0.93.pdf

|||I think Francesco is on the right track, it's hard to tell exactly, but possibly CountersConfig might be able to work as the intermediate measure group in a many-to-many relationship. (Marco's whitepaper is very good and might help shed some light on this)|||Thank your for your answer !
I find the solution with the withepaper you give me in link and the chapter many to many relation ship Wink
So i 'create' a factless table based on Counter Relation, and I link it with the equipement , and with Counter Config.
After I link my measure CounterValue with the dimension Equipement, I use a many to many relationShip with the Dimension : Equipement, and Intermediate measure : Counter Relation...
And all it is ok, thank you for the link, it is very detail, and clear with example !
Bye
HAve a good day !

No comments:

Post a Comment