Tuesday, March 27, 2012

Dimension view

Hello,
I want to make a dimension, where dimension members are either of type 1 or type 2, (to put it in a simple way). I have two views of a table, each containing plus minus 200 records, wich contains strings, wich can be used to check whether a dimension member is of type 1 or 2.
Now I can make a view as dimension table with the occurences labelled these dimension as being of type 1 or 2, but, since there is a huge amount of data being generated, and I want the dimensional database to be updated regularly using a scheduler, I fear that the performance of this update will be extremely slow, since that process needs to search through 400 records for each record to be processed.
I'd prefer to make a view wich filters the dimension members when these are already generated, so I can make MDX queries like: SELECT [Type 1] ON COLUMNS

FYI I use a CLR function (to be able to use regex - I create natural keys with it) in these views, so I really need a similar functionality.
This is my data source

view.
I want to be able to filter the dimension members

generated from the UserAgents (dimension table) by the all_keys table.|||

Well, this is the data source view.
I want to be able to filter the dimension members

generated from the UserAgents (dimension table) by the all_keys table.

|||I made myself a dimension table with a view using a SELECT DISTINCT on the UserAgents (so, kinda like a dimension), and then I made a dimension wich uses an inner join with this view and All_Keys table. I hope this won't give me performance issues...

No comments:

Post a Comment