Tuesday, March 27, 2012

Dimensions, Table Joins, and Missing Elements

I have situation where I'm using a element in SQL table which down the hierarchy.
Such as:

Table1 primary key
|
Table 2 foreign key primary key
|
Table 3 foreign key

The column I using for a dimension is in table 3. Now the problem is that not every row in table 2 is going need to have data in table 3. In other words, all of table 2 primary keys are not necessarily going to have a reference foreign key in Table 3.
Now that is all correct and is the nature of the project I'm working on. In regular SQL, select statements work just fine... meaning that selecting an element in Table 3 would display that element and also make Table 3 act as a filter via an INNER JOIN.

Now the problem is that AS2005 throws an error when processing a cube like this. Now I can make SQL views and use them instead of tables to eliminate this problem. But is that the best way to overcome this? How would I implement something like an INNER JOIN in an AS cube?

Thanks!

AS2005 has several options in dealing with such RI issues, please read the following useful articles on this subject:

http://msdn2.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms345138.aspx

http://msdn2.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms170707.aspx

|||That's exactly what I needed to know. Thanks!

No comments:

Post a Comment