Tuesday, March 27, 2012

Dimension won't add to cube?

Hi, I built a new dimension with the dimension wizard while working with a cube that has dimensions pre-exisiting. The relationship is defined and I don't see anything different about it when I look at the other dimensions.

However, when I look at the cube editor, all of the other related dimension tables are blue and the fact is yellow, but this table is white. Then I process the cube and it's doesn't show up in the cube browser as a dimension. It's like it doesn't exist!!! How can I add a new dimension so that it's visible AND usable?

Also, how do I create shared dimensions or make private dimensions shared?

THanks in advance.

Mike

mreese@.satorigroupinc

which version of SSAS r u using?|||

I figured it out. When you add a new dimension, you still have to manually add it to the dimension usage screen. Pointless and non-intuitive, but it worked.

I am using SSAS 2005. Thanks for your response.

|||

The UI will automatically set the appropriate dimension usage so that a dimension is included in appropriate measure groups when it can be determined. However, as you've discovered, there are situations where the UI is unable to figure out the correct way to join a dimension to a measure group in which case you must manually specify the relationship in the dimension usage tab as you have done.

To answer you're other question, Analysis Services 2005 no longer contains the notion of private dimensions. You can get this effect if desired by simply prefixing your dimensions with the cube name and then renaming them in the cube. However, it is generally desirable to re-use dimensions for consistency whenever possible

sql

No comments:

Post a Comment