Tuesday, March 27, 2012

Direct access of MDF file?

I am a project manager with a contractor that is very protective of
his programmer.
I've just received an alpha version of a program that appears to
access the .mdf file directly, maybe without a connection string. I
have not seen the source code yet.
I can picture a half dozen reasons not to do this mostly related to
server directory permissions, IT ownership, etc.
Is there any reason to do it? I'd like to do my homework before
telling the contractor to do what I tell him regardless of the cost.
Thanks in advance,
DennisWhat do you mean, "access the MDF file directly"? Why do you think the
program does this, if you haven't even seen the source code?
--
http://www.aspfaq.com/
(Reverse address to reply.)
"Hussman" <hussman_30@.hotmail.com> wrote in message
news:9c4bd326.0411160813.6865b58a@.posting.google.com...
> I am a project manager with a contractor that is very protective of
> his programmer.
> I've just received an alpha version of a program that appears to
> access the .mdf file directly, maybe without a connection string. I
> have not seen the source code yet.
> I can picture a half dozen reasons not to do this mostly related to
> server directory permissions, IT ownership, etc.
> Is there any reason to do it? I'd like to do my homework before
> telling the contractor to do what I tell him regardless of the cost.
> Thanks in advance,
> Dennis|||Not sure what you mean by direct access to an mdf file - the
only thing I can think of would be something possibly using
sp_attach_db, sp_detach_db.
-Sue
On 16 Nov 2004 08:13:20 -0800, hussman_30@.hotmail.com
(Hussman) wrote:
>I am a project manager with a contractor that is very protective of
>his programmer.
>I've just received an alpha version of a program that appears to
>access the .mdf file directly, maybe without a connection string. I
>have not seen the source code yet.
>I can picture a half dozen reasons not to do this mostly related to
>server directory permissions, IT ownership, etc.
>Is there any reason to do it? I'd like to do my homework before
>telling the contractor to do what I tell him regardless of the cost.
>Thanks in advance,
>Dennis|||Also, there's an option in the ODBC DSN for filenames to attach. Perhaps such an option also exists
in an ADO(.NET) connection string and this is used?
--
Tibor Karaszi, SQL Server MVP
http://www.karaszi.com/sqlserver/default.asp
http://www.solidqualitylearning.com/
"Sue Hoegemeier" <Sue_H@.nomail.please> wrote in message
news:alakp0hh4da9ga6dkoskrbt3okbd5s0ec4@.4ax.com...
> Not sure what you mean by direct access to an mdf file - the
> only thing I can think of would be something possibly using
> sp_attach_db, sp_detach_db.
> -Sue
> On 16 Nov 2004 08:13:20 -0800, hussman_30@.hotmail.com
> (Hussman) wrote:
> >I am a project manager with a contractor that is very protective of
> >his programmer.
> >
> >I've just received an alpha version of a program that appears to
> >access the .mdf file directly, maybe without a connection string. I
> >have not seen the source code yet.
> >
> >I can picture a half dozen reasons not to do this mostly related to
> >server directory permissions, IT ownership, etc.
> >
> >Is there any reason to do it? I'd like to do my homework before
> >telling the contractor to do what I tell him regardless of the cost.
> >
> >Thanks in advance,
> >Dennis
>

No comments:

Post a Comment