Sunday, March 25, 2012

Dimension Solve Order

Hi,

I'm struggling to get a technique that I've used in AS2000 to work with AS2005.

In AS2000, although I'm not aware that its documented, you can alter the solve order of the dimensions by dragging one dimension above the other in the design area.

I have a solve order issue on a calculated measure in AS2005, and I believe that I need to resolve it by altering the solve order of the dimensions. I've tried altering the order of the dimensions within the 'Cube Strucutre' tab, but it doesn't have any effect.

Does anyone know how to alter the solve order of the dimensions in AS2005?

Any help would be appreciated!

Many thanks

Jeremy

Hello! I think that the order of the dimensions in SSAS2005 cubes is by letter from a to z.

I have not find a way of changing that.

Edit: Solve order is for calculations only. I have never heard about a solve order for dimensions.

The only thing that will change by dragging dimensions in different orders is default non-time dimension that will appear in a client.

I can be wrong but I have been working with MS cubes since OLAP services.

HTH

Thomas Ivarsson

|||

Inside the 'Cube Stucture' tab you can alter the order of the dimensions by dragging and dropping. This is the same in AS2000.

However, I would like to know, does this alter the solve order of the dimensions? It did in AS2000. As far as I can tell, it does not in AS2005.

Can anyone else help?

|||

Hi,

Can anyone else help with this?

I would really like to get this resolved. Maybe its possible to alter the solve order of dimensions with MDX Scripts instead?

Thanks

Jeremy

|||

dear Friend,

Open your dimension design in SSAS, in the attributes tab, select the attribute you want to order, and right-click ans select Properties. IN the Advanced Properties of this attribute you have the options OrderBy and OrderByAttribute...

helped you?

regards!!

|||

Hi,

Thanks for the comment.

Unfortnately the OrderBy and OrderByAttribute properties control the ordering of members.

I'm interested in controlling the solve order of dimensions. E.g. the dimension 'Product' should be calculated after the dimension 'Time'. Is anyone aware how to do this?

Thanks

Jeremy

No comments:

Post a Comment